Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Talek Familias


Each day I become more and more comfortable living in this new place. One thing that has helped me settle in so well is being able to live with such wonderful people and getting to know them and their families.

Since I’ve arrived, we have had many of the guy’s families come and stay with us.
Their company has been enjoyable and I’ve learned to appreciate how important family is to everyone in this camp. For the RAs it will be months until we are reunited with our loved ones back home. And although it does get hard being away for so long, it is encouraging that others have willingly adopted us into their extended families.

I’d like to introduce you all to a couple of families that have made my stay that much better.

Chief, his wife Emily and son Jeremy


 Benson and his son Lemayan




  
Chief and Benson’s families have been here for about a month and Jared and I have learned so much from them. There have been long talks on family customs and traditions and the differences and similarities shared between families here and in the states. For instance, in the states many think of our immediate families as our parents and siblings. And most families in the states only live with their immediate family. Here, immediate families does not only include your parents and siblings it also could include your grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins.

There could be more than one home on a plot of land filled with your entire family. The cluster of single family units can create a massive family fortress. It amazes me how tightly bonded families are and how they work together to make sure the entire family benefits. It is something I hope to evolve in my own family when the time comes. But until then I am happy to be a part of this fisi family fortress.

CSGM


No comments:


Michigan State University | College of Natural Science